What does it mean when there are 20 senders?

I had 209 LTC on a paper wallet generated off line by moving the mouse around random and there is no way the private key could ever have been seen by anyone. In May 2018 it was all emptied and it says 20 senders? Usually it’s only one sender isn’t it?

Sent

ConfirmedConfirmed

209.77936689LTC

May 7, 2018, 5:54 AMUTC

Transaction hash:

1071d73977519c75b238b39d4af65a0f614da18af8ff212293400ee2942662ea

Senders: 20

Recipients: 1

Could someone please explain to me what the senders and receivers on on a transaction on the block chain?

Some have like 3 senders and 53 receivers?

It’s possible to have multiple senders and receivers in a single transaction. Exchanges do that all of the time.

Did you lose that Litecoin? Because some transactions are actually “coin change transaction” (i.e.: you’ve sent 1 LTC from your 209 LTC stash, and the wallet software creates a new address to receive the coin change of 208 LTC).

I have saw your other publication. It shouldn’t be hard to know who stole your Litecoin: if you have used an online service to generate the private key (the screenshot you gave in the other post seems to indicate that), then this online service could potentially be malicious and have saved a copy of the private key.

What is the software that you have used to generate this? It doesn’t look like “litecoin-core”.

1 Like

Thanks fredericomba

But we went to a lot of effort with a laptop that only went online to download the wallet generator and then was never ever online ever again.

We moved the mouse around to generate the private key offline and this laptop has still never been online since. So the private key was made offline. There should be no way the wallet generator could have known the private key is there?

The generator was the one most people were using at the time for both btc and LTC wallets, this was around 2015/6.

My dad also made paper wallets the exact same way as me everything was exactly the same at the same time and his was fine but after what happened to me he moved his crypto.

If it was the wallet generator why didn’t they take my dads as well?

Is there any other way at all to break private keys? Some say it is possible these days?

Even using an offline laptop + offline printer, a fake-random private key generator could explain this situation; we have seen those kind of “flaws” (or should we say attacks?) in the past.
example:

example:
https://bravenewcoin.com/insights/blockchain-info-bug-exposes-users-private-keys

1 Like

My father used the same wallet generator and his private key wasn’t fake it worked once I told him what happened to mine.

I never withdrew so never used the private key at all

So and if your Father hold 5 LTC the Thief are still after your 209.

My father had a lot of ltc on his wallet and even more btc both never got stolen

He sold his after what happened to me

There’s also another thing: do not presume your computer is safe. I have never lost cryptocurrency, but I was the target of a formidable hacking attack. I don’t even trust computers anymore, and this will only change once I’m able to fully write the firmware that runs on it myself.

I still wish there were a way to safely make Litecoin transaction while offline, but there’s no software for there.

I always thought as long as you generate the private key offline and that laptop never ever again goes online then there is no way the private key could be seen?

How are you going to sign a transaction that sends coins you’ve recently received without downloading the latest blocks of the blockchain? How the signed transaction will be broadcast without an Internet connection?

Nobody might have seen the private key in your laptop, but don’t you have a copy of it in an online laptop? Seeing a copy is as good as seeing the original when it comes to digital archives: there is no difference between a copy and the original.

The laptop and printer used to make the wallets were never online again. Once the wallets were made it’s only the public needed to pay onto them.

I moved the mouse around to generate the private key offline. Upper and lower case and numbers. This was before I put ltc on the wallets

There should be no way anyone could know this private key that was made offline.

Some say quantum computers or near quantum can break any rivals key but this means all crypto is not safe?

Yes, this program looks malicious. There’s no need for this “mouse moving” gimmick, reading from ‘/dev/urandom’ should give you what is needed to generate a secure private key. The program might look like it’s generating random keys, but unless we can see the source code of it, it could be using a very predictable seed, so all keys generated by it are easy to guess by the malicious author of said software.

That’s a non-problem. There’s no point in using extremely expensive, experimental quantum computers to steal something that doesn’t pay the cost of the attack. I’m not even sure if that’s actually possible, these news looks like a distraction to move people away from cryptocurrencies.

Thanks Frederick so do you think all paper wallets from a few years ago are unsafe?

Any idea why my transaction had 20 senders?

Yes, they are unsafe.

It becomes more annoying to track the stolen money as it gets spread out, so that could be why the hacker decided for splitting it into multiple outputs.

2 Likes