My letter to Chinese miners and pool operators on 3/26/17

To Litecoin miners and pool operators,
致所有的矿工以及矿池主:

As you all know, the Litecoin developers and I worked on adding SegWit to Litecoin last year. We have taken tremendous efforts on it in order to help Litecoin rise again and wished that miners and pools would support this and signal for SegWit. As it turned out, we have not done a good job at convincing you why SegWit is good for Litecoin. I hope this letter can help.

我想你们已经了解到,最近一年内,莱特币开发人员和我都在为添加隔离见证到莱特币而工作。为此,我们花了大量的时间和精力,只为让莱特币能够东山再起,并盼望矿工与矿池能够早日支持并且激活隔离见证。但遗憾的是,我们并没有成功地让你们意识到为什么隔离见证对莱特币有好处。我希望这封信能够有所帮助。

First of all, a lot of criticism about SegWit comes from Bitcoin’s perspective. SegWit is not a good scaling solution. I agree. It is not. Litecoin, currently, is not running into a block size problem. Litecoin has 4 times the capacity of Bitcoin, so it likely won’t run into any capacity issues for many years. Our reasoning for adding SegWit is not because of it’s small block size bump. SegWit has a fix for transaction malleability, which lets us add new technologies like Lightning Networks. SegWit also opens up the possibility of adding many other improvements like Schnorr signatures or Confidential Transactions. All of these improvements are going to help Litecoin tremendously. And with Bitcoin stalling due to the block size scaling deadlock, Litecoin can really shine if we can get SegWit on Litecoin.

首先,很多的关于隔离见证的批评都是站在比特币的视角得出来的。隔离见证不是一个好的解决扩容问题的方案。这点的确如此。莱特币目前并没有区块大小的问题。莱特币有4倍于比特币的容量,因此它在未来很多年之内都不会有区块容量的问题。我们支持隔离见证并不是因为小区块冲突,而是因为隔离见证可以修复交易可锻性,进而可以让我们添加更多的新技术如闪电网络。隔离见证也让很多其他的升级成为了可能,如:Schnorr签名和匿名交易。所有的这些功能都将极大地帮助莱特币的发展。在比特币因为区块大小问题停滞不前的时候,如果我们能够在莱特币上激活隔离见证,莱特币必将发光。

People also complain about the complexity of SegWit code. I don’t think miners or pools need to worry about that. The Litecoin development team is comfortable with the SegWit code and we never have any trouble about it. In a healthy ecosystem, each party contributes its best. We are confident in what we do best, coding. We also welcome you introducing more talents to join our development team.

很多人也抱怨过隔离见证代码复杂性的问题,我觉得这个担心是没有必要的。莱特币开发团队很有信心能够自如地应对隔离见证的代码,我们从来就没有遇到过什么问题。在一个健康的生态系统中,每一方贡献自己的最好的一面。我们有信心做到自己的最好。我们也欢迎矿工和矿池介绍更多的天才加入开发团队。

Xinxi Wang has worked hard to set up a Litecoin Foundation. We will work towards getting funding for it so that we can hire a few full-time Litecoin developers. I will be the Managing Director and I will work with the Litecoin development team to improve Litecoin. However, a lot of what we want to work on depends on SegWit being activated. PZ is also in the process of setting up a foundation in the Cayman Island. I expect this might also help Litecoin and the development team in the future.

新喜正在努力注册莱特币基金会。我们会共同努力为其募集资金以雇佣全职开发人员。我也会成为基金会的总裁,与莱特币开发人员并肩作战,一起提升莱特币。但是,我们的开发计划很大部分工作都取决于隔离见证是否会被激活。PZ也准备在开曼群岛设立一个基金会。我觉得将来这有可能帮助莱特币及其开发团队。

I also believe that the market is waiting for Litecoin to get SegWit and the price will react positively if SegWit is activated. Seeing all these other altcoins pump is definitely disheartening. So let’s give the market what it wants.

我相信市场在等待莱特币激活隔离见证,那时,莱特币价格也会有积极的响应。看到其他的竞争币价格飙升而莱特币纹丝不动实在是令人沮丧。让我们给市场市场想要的吧。

For concerns about on-chain scaling, I understand your concerns. I promise you if and when the need arises for Litecoin to scale on-chain, the Litecoin developers and I will execute a hard fork to increase max block size for Litecoin.

对于链上扩容的顾虑,我能理解。我向你们承诺,如果莱特币有链上扩容的需求,莱特币开发人员和我都会采用硬分叉的形式来提升莱特币的区块大小。

Lastly, I plan to travel to China in June and want to meet with as many of the Chinese miners and pool operators as possible. I would love to hear your opinions about what you think the Litecoin development team should work on next. And at that time, I would much rather talk to you about new Litecoin features as oppose to still trying to convince you about SegWit.

最后,我计划六月份去中国,希望能见尽可能多的矿工以及矿池主。我很想知道你们的关于莱特币开发团队未来工作的意见或者建议。到那时候,我希望更多的时间是用来跟你们谈谈莱特币未来的新特性而不是去说服你们激活隔离见证。

I hope you will trust in me, my vision, and the Litecoin development team. We all want the best for Litecoin and we are all in this together. Let Litecoin take the lead!

我衷心希望你们会相信我,我的愿景以及莱特币开发团队。我们都希望莱特币能够做到最好,并且我们都在为此奋斗着。让莱特币成为领头羊!

Thanks,
Charlie Lee
Litecoin Creator

此致

敬礼
李启威,
莱特币创造者

4 Likes

Way to go, Coblee. Well said words!

2 Likes

支持。。。如果矿工把算力都切到支持sw的矿池,我想那些恶意不支持sw的矿池将会失去很多算力份额。希望所有的矿工团结起来。让莱特东山再起。

1 Like

Looks like LTC1BTC and Antpool are working together preventing segwit to happen. Why doesn’t litecoin do a hardfork to segwit.
And why is the threshold set at 75%, wouldn’t 51% be more democratic?

51% is not enough for consensus…thats why segwit has to be actgive at 75% for 2 weeks…so all nodes reach consensus…otherwise we’d have multiple blockchains for the same coin…