MWEB Progress Update Thread

Still waiting for LTC to launch

Is there a possibility that now any LTC coin that touches MWEB will be blacklisted on all the exchanges due to AML rules?

So basically MWEB will not “clean up” your coins but will instead make them “high risk”?

Fungible, in this case, will mean your coins will be interchangeable with all other “darknet coins”.

No. Please read all topic. All answer there.

I don’t seem to get it. If you hide the history of a UTXO you own, that UTXO will be “marked for life”. And i suspect that exchanges will treat it the same as any other “high risk” UTXO.

If they would do this, they could not accept dollars at all. As far as I know, @coblee discussed with multiple exchanges before starting the MWEB project. They’ve told him there is not much to worry about. But in the end the choice is made by the community. Liquidity is one of the most important property of LTC. If the community sees it in danger, it can stop the MWEB activation.

2 Likes

But they obviously do an exception for dollars. But many users have gotten their accounts frozen on exchanges due to their coins history (darknet, stolen, ransomware …)

My concern is that MWEB will be added to the above list.

You need read this GitHub - bogatyy/grin-linkability: Grin transaction data corresponding to research on transaction linkability. All about anonymity MWEB. But MWEB hide coins on the wallet, this important.

So your response to my concerns about Litecoins privacy feature is that it’s not private at all, so there’s nothing to worry about?

Also, there’s doubts that any of Bogatyys work can be used for anything in practise Grin Devs Respond: Mimblewimble Privacy Isn’t 'Fundamentally Flawed'

I will write about this on my new Medium, but by now I only have some draft. This ‘darknet coins’ problem’ is precisely the problem that I want to address with my articles.

Exchanges will not only trade a ‘fungible’ coin like Litecoin, but they need this property more than all the other hyped DeFi or NFT properties.

Like Bitcoin, before mass adoption, fungibility will start restrict to some ‘ilegal’ circles. But as the contamination of non-fungible coin grows, there will be the need to solve this problem.

Exchanges are not immaculate. Bitfinex/Tether controversy showed this to the general public.

After the contamination of the coins and the growth of scandals, how can an exchange trust another exchange? How can they be sure they are not getting tained coins? Who will pay when someone gets a ‘dirt’ coin? Can they pass it along?

This is precisely why the exchanges need the fungible property, after-all the precious merchandise that they sell is money itself.

Fungibility will be, on the near future, the most pro-eminent way that exchanges will be able to accept coins, even when they are exchanging between themselves. Because they are not only exchanging, they are battling for the coins.

BTW: I also posted this comment on Medium.

6 Likes

Hey bro, I don’t think it’s a problem, because limw works by extention blcok,like a side chain, not in main chain, it’s an optional function.If exchanges think confidential transaction is illegal, they can refuse to support the mweb, instead of blacklist ltc.

I hope Litecoin’s Fungibility will lower down or even eradicate the overpriced GAS problems needed to publish NFTs! Etherium’s GAS prices is outrageous!

1 Like

Bitcoin and Litecoin Move Closer to Their Privacy Improvements

Link

2 Likes

Well the best price for smart contracts tokens is LOW, so that the network is used as much as possible. When people start buying eth as store of value, it decreases the usage of it’s main features.

1 Like

Wow,awesome

LTC was designed to be faster than btc. the game is no more the same today. you have utility coins, anonymour coins, DEFI coins,…
since 2013 LTCBTC is is a bear market (2013 1BTC = 19 LTC now more than 300 LTC )
since the start of the bull market ( march 2020) ltc keed going down from 0.0069 to sub 0,0033. Hashrate to… this is not a good sign for the future

2 Likes

You mean LTC/BTC ratio is going down…like rest of the altcoins in the market.

LTC will become a whole new animal soon after this update & hashrate won’t grow due to chip shortage

1 Like

March Progress:

The first code review[1] was submitted on March 15th covering the libmw project! :rocket: This is where the bulk of the MWEB logic resides, and is completely independent from the existing LTC code in order to make it easier to take the latest fixes and enhancements from bitcoin.

MWEB is a massive enhancement, much larger than any previous upgrade to the LTC network, including SegWit. Not surprisingly, there is a ton of code to review. libmw alone is more than 15k lines of code, and that’s not including the “glue” that ties it into the existing LTC code. Reviewing all of this, and getting it professionally audited is going to take us well into the summer, so please be patient with us all as we painstakingly pore over each line to make sure it is safe and bug free.

The consequences of introducing a bug in consensus code can be quite severe, sometimes even catastrophic. Grin recently suffered the worst kind of attack due to a consensus bug[2]. One of the 2 node implementations used a cache improperly, which led to an invalid transaction being included in a block. This transaction massively inflated the supply for a short period of time. Luckily, Grin++ did not have the bug, so the issue was caught and fixed right away. Forks of Grin were not as lucky…

While I’m certain MWEB will not be vulnerable to any major attacks, the Grin experience was a bit unnerving for me personally. I want to make sure we’re doing everything we can to eliminate possible sources of bugs. The biggest such source is rushing through code, which is something I’ve done a lot of this past 2 months :grimacing:

As a result, I will no longer be committing to exact deadlines. I obviously value transparency a lot, and want to keep everyone as informed as possible, so I will continue to provide estimates (now, in an easy-to-follow timeline at https://wenmweb.com). But these will be no more than estimates, subject to change at any time. This project is too important to rush.

April Tasks:

This month, I will be working on cleaning up LIP-0002 and LIP-0003 based on feedback we received from one of our auditors. I will also be addressing comments on the libmw code review, and continuing to add more tests and documentation to make life easier for reviewers, auditors, and future maintainers. I’ll also be reaching out to more auditors, bitcoin developers, and mimblewimble experts to solicit their review of the design and code.

These next few updates will mostly just involve the same few things over and over: documentation, testing, review, and general housekeeping tasks. But I’ll take advantage of the briefer updates by describing the various perks of MWEB, future directions we can take it, cool projects we can build on top of it, and general reasons why bitcoiners should and will be jealous of Litecoin image

[1] https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/pull/703
[2] grin-security/CVE-2021-XXXX.md at 940c9447614237fc2ec6da9e1bb31a5eed7d2573 · mimblewimble/grin-security · GitHub

27 Likes

Thanks @David , appreciate your work and dedication!

3 Likes