Is it possible to fork litecoin and create a new currency?

I am in the process of putting together the a rudimentary vocational course on cryptocurrencies. I understand the technology behind crypto and I am seeking to establish a new crypto which will never actually list, or be invested in, but will act as a running demo for open source development, teaching the codebase, etc.

I have forked bitcoin before, for this exact purpose, but I can’t find any up to date resources for LTC.

2 Likes

Anybody? It would appear that a lot of people seem to think this is common knowledge, but there isn’t a lot of info on it.

Yes it is, litecoin code ins on github.

cheers.

I know this, what I am asking about is tutorial information on how these currencies are put together, based on an existing coin. For example, litecoin is a fork of btc. I am considering a fork of litecoin for the course we are putting together, as bitcoin is not really what we want to cover.

The code is open source and available on github. You are free to take the software and make any changes to it you like, assuming you can code. Then it is a matter of convincing others to embrace that code and participate on the network. If your new code offers something people need it might attract other users. The problem is while this new fork is small someone can gain 51% of the hashpower and either destroy the network or steal coins like has happened before with BSV.