How to set up a litecoin node?

how to set up a litecoin node?

follow steps given in Litecoin compilation guide

Download the latest version of the Litecoin Core software at https://litecoin.org/ I have run the Windows version on an old 2014 i5 Windows 10 laptop and the Linux x86 version on an older 2012 Dell i3. Currently, it’s running on a Raspberry Pi 4B with the current Raspberry Pi OS (Linux, ARM) with 4GB RAM and connected to a USB HDD. If you use the 64-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS, download the aarch64 version.

The Windows version is the simplest. Run the downloaded setup program. When it finishes, open the application and it will begin the initial block download. That will take some time. The newer and faster your system is, the shorter the download time. You can set up your wallet later.

Currently the Litecoin blockchain needs about 90GB of space. You will want more than that available as blocks are being added all the time.

Let me know if you are using Linux and mention the hardware platform (x86 or ARM) and I can get some directions posted for installing that. It’s not very complicated but different.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Can you get any remuneration with a full litecoin node?

No direct remuneration for running a node. The benefit is that you have your own wallet with direct access to the blockchain. You are not connecting to the blockchain through another company like an exchange or a wallet provider. You always have an updated copy of the blockchain on your hardware and a wallet on your hardware. No company can lock you out of transacting business. Just make sure you keep good backups of your wallet keys!

To keep the cost low for running a node, the Raspberry Pi 4b uses less than 10 watts of power including a USB hard drive attached for blockchain storage. And you can still use the Pi for other applications while running Litecoin node.

1 Like

This thread was helpful. Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

is there a linux distro which is having less issues like the ppa folic error we are getting with linux mint 19.3- 20 Ubuntu maybe?

Thanks for posting this thread

Remember that running a node requires constant attention and regular updates to ensure security and compatibility with the network. Keep your software updated and maintain proper security practices to protect your system.

The only issue I have is the constant network connection which unfortunately so, we do not have.

Thank you :smile:

This is quite helpful :innocent:

Is the the up and down network connection keeping you from doing the initial block download?

If you already have the initial download then you can still update the blockchain occasionally when your internet connection is up. If I have to take my node down for a few hours or even a couple days, it doesn’t take long to update the blockchain after opening the core application again.