I had LiteCoin Core on previous computer, but the hard drive died. I have moderate computer skills, but have never recovered anything like this. I saved my Key Code and Address on a thumb drive, but would like step-by-step directions how to recover it. I figure it is a one shot deal and don’t want to screw it up. Thank you
What is a “Key Code” ?
You need one of these:
- a string of characters beginning with a 6
- a string of characters beginning with a T
- 12 seed words
- wallet.dat file
if you have none of the above … another rare forms of private keys are:
- string of 64 hex characters
- string of 44 base64 encoded characters (usualy ends with a = character)
I miscommunicated what I meant when I labeled it a “Key” code.
That is actually my “DAT File”.
- download litecoin core: https://download.litecoin.org/litecoin-0.18.1/win/litecoin-0.18.1-win64-setup.exe
- install and start it, turn it off at the first chance you get (this is to create the necessary folder structure)
- copy your wallet.dat to c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Litecoin\wallets
- start litecoin core again, wait for blockchain to download and rescan
I apologize, I need a little more clarification.
- What command do I use to stop the download.
- Where will I find the:
so I know where to copy the DAT file to it?
- finish the download, install, start, turn off the program before putting the file into the folder
- start file explorer and put this into address bar: %APPDATA%\Litecoin\wallets
I clicked on the link you sent, it downloaded and now It is telling me:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
How did you install litecoin core on the computer before your hard drive died?
Do it the same way now.