Being asked for a Passphrase

Hello,
I have downloaded my wallet.dat file onto the latest Litecoin Core and recovered my litecoin.
When I made this litecoin purchase in 2013 I dont recall creating a passphrase, otherwise I am sure I would have recorded it. So to secure my updated wallet I encrypted it today and then I was asked to change the passphrase. But to change the passphrase you need the old passphrase. Something which I dont have.
I have the wallet encryption but no passphrase. Does this mean my coins are lost?
Grateful for any help here.
Thanks

1 Like

If you have the wallet but no passprhase, your coins are lost (unless you can crack the passprhase).

You can verify if your wallet.dat backup is encrypted by opening it on a text editor. If you can read it and find private keys in there, then it is not encrypted; otherwise it is.

Thanks for your reply,
This was driving me crazy but I saw an old thread of someone who did the same back in 2014 and the advise was to replace the current .dat file with the old .dat file that I had saved before I encrypted the wallet.
I replaced the. dat file and opened the Litecoin Core and would you believe that it doesnt ask me for a password. Boy, am I relieved.
Drinks are on me!

1 Like

Awesome!

Please spend/invest those old Litecoin on something really good. :+1:

If you have an interesting amount of LTC, I would suggest you to purchace a hardware wallet that supports segwit (like the ledger nano s).

¡Saludos!

Well, if you insist :stuck_out_tongue:
MPtzS8qciS7E1anJM2hwBTZnnFD9WCL8Y4 (this is a segwit litecoin addr)

Have a pint (Guinness) on me.
Slainte!

1 Like

¡Gracias! <3

Be sure It will be shared with a good friend

Hey Brett,

did you ever figure out how the .dat file was encrypted in the first place. Unfortunately this happened to me and I’m 100% sure I did not encrypt it.

Hi there,
In my case I encrypted the wallet just yesterday…
On doing so I was then asked to enter a passphrase. I hadn’t expected this and I took some minutes to think of something easy to remember.Before I entered the passphrase it automatically changed the demand to " change your passphrase" . Off course to be able to do this you need the ‘old’ passphrase, which I never had. So my problem was I took too long to come up with a passphrase. Hope that clarifies my situation.

Please try the method described above to determine if your .dat (or the backup of your .dat) is encrypted or not.