MWEB Progress Update Thread

October Progress:

The testnet has been running for a month now and has highlighted the areas where more work is needed. Several bugs were found as a result, which means the early testnet launch was highly valuable.

After sorting out the most critical bugs (thanks to the help of a couple of awesome contributors[1]), I switched to adding full wallet support. I was able to finish this up a few days ago[2], and I’m planning to roll those changes out to all the testers tomorrow evening.

I’ve also changed how MW blocks are built[3] to avoid a lot of downfalls in the existing approach.

Remaining Work:

November '20 - Wallet testing and start implementing non-interactive transactions. Most of this month will be about fixing testnet issues and trying to improve the one-sided txs proposal[4].

December '20 - Finish coding one-sided txs. Include MWEB wallet functionality into the GUI.

January '21 - Launch MWEB testnet 2 with one-sided tx support and include non-technical users. Open a pull request to merge in the code to the main repo!

As always, this is subject to change (blame it on my ADHD). But by the current looks of things, we should be done coding sometime in January.

P.S. I just want to say a huge thank you to the many people who have helped out with the testnet in various ways!

[1] Contributors to ltc-mweb/libmw · GitHub
[2] Wallet support by DavidBurkett · Pull Request #20 · ltc-mweb/libmw · GitHub
[3] Using updated wallet & miner APIs by DavidBurkett · Pull Request #5 · ltc-mweb/litecoin · GitHub
[4] One-sided MW transactions. by DavidBurkett · Pull Request #13 · litecoin-project/lips · GitHub

14 Likes

David How is your physical condition recently?

why you ask that ?

David had COVID-19.

I’m doing well now, thanks for asking. I guess that means I’m immune for 4-6 months, so I can go back to partying like it’s 2019 :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

That’s the spirit😃!

1 Like

Hi Everyone!

It has been a long journey, but we’re getting close to the finish line. 2021 is shaping up to be a great year for LTC :rocket:

November Progress:

The testnet is running smoothly, with only a few bugs remaining to track down.

I’ve updated the one-sided txs proposal[1] to guard against Wagner’s attacks[2], use stealth addresses, include payment proofs, and guard against replay attacks. It’s still in desperate need of reviewers, but the current form of the proposal is likely to be in the final form (barring no new attacks are found).

After finishing the proposal, I got started on the implementation of one-sided transactions[3]. The new fields have all been added and existing tests fixed.

Up Next:

Now that the fields have all been added to the input and output structures, I will add the new validation logic for checking signatures and performing the new ownership check (See validation rules here).

I will then add in wallet support for the new one-sided transactions, add MWEB functionality in the GUI, and prepare for a second testnet that will also include non-technical users this time.

[1] https://github.com/DavidBurkett/lips/blob/master/lip-0004.mediawiki
[2] https://joinmarket.me/blog/blog/avoiding-wagnerian-tragedies/
[3] https://github.com/ltc-mweb/libmw/tree/one_sided

14 Likes

Hi David. We just want to say thank you for your hard work & consistency of sharing the progress with us. You are literally building a global currency! Seriously impressive my friend.

We also hope the Litecoin’s donated to you will bring you much wealth in the next year.

5 Likes

lmk when you need non-technical users :wink:

youhouhouuuuuuu im so happy dont want ppl know how much ltc i have hehe

i fell january will be the month of official release

litecoin need a stimulus release NOW

Nice project update.
But I have not received any Litcoin.
Can anyone help me out on how I can win this reward.

Not entirely sure what you mean. You can purchase Litecoin at most exchanges, along with a good number of Litecoin ATMs. No rewards unless you’re contributing hash power in a mining pool or such.

1 Like

What rewards do you mean, its an update for mimblewhimble project. It will be implemented to LTC. No rewards in this forum

haha, unlike the US government, we can’t, nor can anyone else randomly print more LTC :wink:

2 Likes

Hi All!

December Progress:

As some of you may have already seen, the first implementation of non-interactive txs is finally ready for testing! I’ve also updated LIP-0004 to match the code.

Community member Hector Chu worked hard to get the MWEB functionality added to the GUI, and it turned out great! Thanks also to @ecurrencyhodler for helping with the design.

I’ve also started documenting all consensus rules to make it easier for those testing, reviewing, or auditing the code.

Up Next:

I’ll need to take ~1 week to prep Grin++ for Grin’s final planned hardfork. Once I get the new version released, I’ll get builds of the new MWEB code ready and launch the new community-wide testnet so everybody, regardless of technical abilities, can test out the MWEB and provide feedback. Watch for more info about that sometime mid-January.

I still don’t have an exact date ready yet for when the code will be finished, but we’re getting very close. We have a lot of automated tests to backfill still, there’s still a few outstanding questions about max weight for the EBs & peg-in/peg-out maturity, and there’s lots of small cleanup tasks remaining. I’m still expecting to have the code finished sometime this quarter (Q1 2021) though, so it won’t be long.

Happy New Year Everyone!

15 Likes

Haha happy to help. :slight_smile:

It’s super cool we were able to keep the Core UI virtually the same for MWEB txns and peg-in/peg-out txns. Hopefully this will make it a lot easier for non-technical people to use MWEB.

Great work so far David!

Also, here’s a very rough prototype on figma of what it’d look like if anyone is interested.

5 Likes

Hi David. This is outstanding.

Have you received enough payment for the work?

1 Like

Yes, but the fund is getting very low: https://twitter.com/DavidBurkett38/status/1345237931791945728

The UI is very simple, I don’t think it will take so long for a few more people. I hope to speed up, one year is enough to do a lot of things。